Thursday, October 1, 2009

INTERPUBLIC

Carmichael Lynch




Carmichael Lynch
Harley Davidson – gas prices

The copy is missing from this ad, but it reads: “America, please don’t buy a Harley because it gets 50mpg. History has shaped this tank, not the whims of foreign oil… Let’s chase sunsets whether gas is 6 bucks or 6 red cents…”. I hate Harleys, I hate the noise, hate the look, not too fond of any part actually. The Ads are great though, and the copy here really speaks to the riders I think. It’s never been about the gas mileage, and it never will be. Harleys are rarely for getting from point A to point B. They are about enjoying the road and enjoying the feel of riding a motorcycle. Carmichael Lynch has had Harley long enough that they know what they are doing and this is certainly a step in the same direction.

Hill Holliday



Hill Holiday – Boston
Liberty Mutual – New Car in Trunk

This Ad for Liberty Mutual is currently being aired. It’s a little somber and sad at first which is an appropriate mood after a car accident. Then near the end, it shows the man pulling out a brand new car out of his trunk instead of just a spare tire. Hill Holiday is doing this to illustrate how they will replace a new car with a new car. The amount of fine print and exceptions involved with this policy has got to be mind boggling. It seems that although this is a great policy to have, most people will be angry when they get in an accident and find out that they actually aren’t eligible for a new car. This could cause more people to leave Liberty Mutual instead of attracting people to it.

Deutsch



Deutsch – USA
IKEA – Brooklyn store opening

IKEA is a really cool company and I think their store and products are great. This ad is pretty simple and straight forward. It’s not thought provoking or even beautiful. It just kind of makes you say to yourself “hmm, I’ll have to keep that in mind”. This is probably exactly what they’re hoping New Yorkers will do. Making things out of other things isn’t new, but its not old either. I don’t hate it!


Mullen



Mullen – Wenham, MA
Columbia – Are you?

This is what I would consider a good example of a mainstream print ad. It’s just something I would flip right by. I think the only reason I would read ANY of the copy on this ad is if I were currently in the market for an outdoor backpack.

Campbell Mithun



Campbell Mithun – Minneapolis
American Express – “My People” Ellen and Beyonce

Ellen is hysterical and she doesn’t disappoint in any of her ads for American Express. This one pokes fun at the phrase “my people”. Well it turns out, H&R Block’s people weren’t too happy with the commercial because they think that they were the only one’s that could use the phrase “my people”. In August of 2008, H&R Block filed a claim against American Express trying to halt the campaign and seek compensatory relief.

R/GA

I couldn’t find the image I was looking for but I know of an R/GA outdoor ad that they did for NikeID a few years back. They had a billboard with a giant Nike shoe on it, and to illustrate the customization available on the NikeID website, you could text a color to a certain number and it would change the color of the shoes on the billboard. I know there are WAY more people in NYC, but why do we not get anything fun like this in Dallas?