Thursday, October 15, 2009

HAVAS

Arnold Worldwide



Arnold - Boston
Truth Campaign – Spot 8

The first time I saw this ad I was enraged. I couldn’t believe how ineffective it was, and I AM the target market. I don’t smoke, but I’m in the age range they are targeting for sure. This is so dumb. The cartoon animations and silly lyrics and dancing around is a contrived way to be different. What was ever wrong with showing a black lung or body bag? They started out strong but then faded into this crap in my opinion. I think it’s a big waste of money. Maybe some scare tactics aren’t considered appropriate in the US, but I say screw whatever appropriateness you like if it’s saving lives.

Euro RSCG



Euro RSCG – Buenos Aires
Nugget Shoe Polish – Alien Invaders

This ad was refreshing. Evoked elements of Hitchcock and Rosemary’s baby. It was silly and a tad serious at the same time. The way they kept re-using the same explosion clip got a tiny laugh out of me at least. But at the end, I feel like there was a lack of clarity. If they had shown the light actually bounce off the top of his shoe I think it would have brought it all together a little better.


McKinney


McKinney
Sherwin Williams – “Ask Sherwin Williams” – Durham

I think these print ads for Sherwin Williams are perfect because they look like they came straight from a consumer focus group. When people want to change something about their house, its usually the paint color because it’s the easiest to do and often the cheapest. But with this comes a lot of questions. Sherwin Williams wants you to know that they are willing and able to answer any question you might have. It’s empowering and comforting knowing you can walk in the store knowing nothing and not feel intimidated by that. I think it’s great that they capitalized on one of their existing strengths.