Thursday, September 3, 2009

OMNICOM

GSD&M Idea City



GSD&M – Austin
BMW 3 Series – Glass Road

I saw how they made this film in a multi-page article in BMW magazine. When I read it, I was absolutely blown away. They filmed it in a giant white bubble in a massive hanger. It was lit from all sides and the vehicle was suspended in air so that they could move the camera under it at any moment. The details were astonishing. However, when I see the ad, it doesn’t look like it took near that much work. It looks cool, and clean, but not groundbreaking. It looks like it could be real, could be CGI. I’m usually a big fan of BMW ads and this one isn’t bad but for all the money and time, I think it was a waste of resources. Maybe I just don’t know enough about production to understand why this was new and remarkable.

Dieste Harmel & Partners



Dieste – Dallas
Gatorade – Skyscraper

Even though Gatorade has been doing the commercials with the colored sweat for awhile now, I’m fine with it. I think it’s pretty cool, and reminds you why you need to drink Gatorade while you’re playing sports. This ad was shot on top of a 54 story building in downtown Sao Paulo, Brazil. If the game itself weren’t interesting enough, the grass starts to grow from the cement as they move too. It’s not great but I think it’s perfect for Gatorade.

LatinWorks



Latin Works
Stubbs BBQ – Cow

This commercial shares a lot of elements that are pretty common right now in commercials and other media. Maybe I’ll call it the “Napoleon Dynamite Effect”. Awkward kids in awkward scenes doing awkward stuff. It is still pretty funny though. I like how the kid looks back at the cow multiple times before he makes his final decision. I also like how at the end you are surprised by the product, but then it all makes sense. I’m ok with not knowing what the product is until the end as long as it pulls everything together.

Martin | Williams



Martin Williams
H1N1 Flu viral video – Fire the Flu

I think it’s really cool that Martin Williams decided to make this video. People respond to visuals and especially videos. I think, however, that this video is a little stale. I think they were trying to be witty and get there point across at the same time, but I was absolutely bored. The illustrations are good, if not a little purposefully nostalgic, but they aren’t very entertaining. They made what could have been fun and funny and viral, into a 4 minute PSA.