Wednesday, December 16, 2009

OTHER AGENCIES

TAXI




TAXI – Calgary, Canada
Park n Stor

Here’s a pretty decent ad from Taxi. Basically looks like a basement with everything painted white, with cardboard lettering that says “We’re your basement’s basement”. It’s a quick easy statement and makes sense. It seems like its halfway there to fully personifying the basement so I just feel like it’s missing something.


DROGA 5



Droga 5 – USA
Puma – “Lite Surfer”

I looked at this ad for about 5 minutes and couldn’t figure out what was going on in it. For those of you who can’t either, I believe he is naked and just has light being projected on to him in the form of clothes and a surrounding room. It took me a second, but it was worth it, I like the challenge when it pays off with seeing a creative idea make you think.


Ground Zero


Ground Zero – USA
Becks Beer – “Life is what you choose”

Nothing out of the ordinary here. Basically we’ve got the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. What is funny however is that they are advertising beer which makes the decision between the two shoulders a little harder. I’m not really sure I get all the negative space either. I think I would have done a real underpass and then next to your friend’s foot who is already doing graffiti maybe a cell phone and a can of spray paint. Or maybe just two cans of spray paint but just different colors!


22Squared



22squared – USA
Buffalo Wild Wings – “Margarita Mayhem. Five Flavors. Frozen or on-the-rocks. Be warned, they bite.”

Great print ad from 22squared. I like how it’s not just the pretty frosted glass and the salt and lime wedge. They gave the drink some personality and it looks funny too. It makes me wonder if the limes in my margaritas have ever floated down and made an alien face without me knowing it. Pretty creative for just a margarita, and I like the copy a lot too.


Modernista

Modernista – USA
World AIDS Day (Red) – Holiday Campaign

The (Red) campaign has been a multi-year success and doesn’t seem to be slowing down in the slightest. I’ve seen some great products come out of it and a lot of cool store displays in places like Starbucks and the Gap. I think this commercial is effective because it uses just the color red and a few times we see the familiar parentheses signs. Sometimes you don’t need photos or anything, you just need a color and a symbol.


David & Goliath


David & Goliath
Mammoth Mountain – “Birds of Mammoth” – play big
While I’m not a big advocator of doing things in a nostalgic design just for the heck of it, I do like how they reinvented an old bird watching book and used it to advertise skiers of Mammoth mountain. The difficulty and colors of the drawings is identical to the nature and bird books they are imitating. It’s also a good ad to spend some time with and actually read a little about each person.


Wongdoody


Wongdoody – LA
CW Gossip Girl – “Very Bad for you”

I had no idea these ads came from wongdoody! I applaud them for getting the CW’s approval on them. I’m not sure if I were an exec at the CW if I would have been so brave. I remember the ads got a lot of attention from the media. But I think it was exactly what the CW was looking for. They know the show pushes the limits and they want everyone to else to know it too. Just with the airtime associated with these ads alone it could be deemed a very successful campaign.